Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Toys r us

My current bedroom at home used to be the toyroom. Growing up, my siblings and I had TONNES of toys. And I'm not even exaggerating. My bros had everything, from Transformers, Star Wars & Thundercats figures to Ghostbusters, racing cars and Conan. Others, I just have no idea what they're called ;p My sister loved Warner bros' characters, she also collected the hot cartoons of her time - JEM and My Little Pony. I had bears after bears after BEARS! She and I later shared a passion though : Barbie. She had so many dolls, I should think up to 30 perhaps. I on the other hand, had a fetish over Barbie accessories - the clothes and houses, the luxury and such. Friends who've gone into my toyroom so far have all made the same expression. They all gawked. Everything's just so PINK. Yup, I had my own Barbieland in that small lil room upstairs.

So when I got older, I didn't want to be sharing a room with sis anymore. I cleared the toyroom , donated what was in excess and wala! My personal bedroom. All the Barbieness was kept safely in boxes under my bed.

Few days ago I found myself looking around my room. What a change. Now it's full of clothes. Lots and lots of 'em. ;) Mum was persistent on not wasting anything, so I rummaged my wardrobe and set aside a huge bundle for charity. As I was doing that, my eye caught the stuff underneath the bed. And I've been pulling them out, getting the dust off and arranging them neatly. I was thinking of giving them away, maybe to a children's hospital or an orphanage. After I got everything assembled though, it felt really difficult to let go. These were the sweet childhood memories...plus they're all still in good shape..I asked my mum about it. When she looked at them, she told me to keep them. (yay!) Who knows when she finally has grand daughters they'd like to go to Mamatok's house to play with Barbie ;D

Just recently I told my bro to go through this stack of magazines I found, some were collectors' comics - to determine which ones he wanted so that we could recycle the rest. And out of the corner of my eye I saw him snickering to himself as he flipped them through. Afterwards he took all the magazines to his room! Guess I'm not the only one unwilling to part with precious memories =p

Before I store them once again for the unknown future, I can't help but take some pics. Here's a glimpse of my very girly2 childhood days :


JEM

To the ball with Barbies ;)

Why we hate mannikins,dummies and dolls - they look too good to be true =p
Dolls have better clothes than we do =s

Barbie's lil sis, Kelly & her bestie, Melody



ps. Everyone's brought up differently, while good values in my opinion should matter, I don't see why toys should create such a fuss. In other words, non-Barbie fans - bite your tongue ;)


1st Doll House
Supermarket
Dressing table
Foodcourt ;)

The beach. complete with water skis, jetski, sails and surfboard.oh.scuba gear too :p

1 comment:

  1. bt then..mamatok's current grandson pun suh tie laa men barbie w him..hiks

    ReplyDelete