Ingredients: (makes 45pieces of tarts)
-1 pack of flaky puff pastry (I use Pampas, can be found in premium stores like Cold Storage, Jaya Grocer,etc). Back in NZ, there were 5 sheets per pack so it fits nicely as 1 sheet makes 9 tarts. Pampas has 6sheets, so u have an extra 1 sheet. But that doesn't really matter as there are always other uses for them!)
-2 cups milk
-1 1/4 cup sugar
-1 tsp vanilla essence
1) Thaw the flaky puff pastry in advance.
2) In a saucepan, heat the milk and sugar until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
3) Beat 5 eggs in a bowl, whisk in vanilla essence. Then add in the slightly cool milk mixture. Strain to get a smooth mixture.
4) Return to the puff pastry. For each sheet, make a 3x3 cut so you get 9 small squares. In each square, make a 1cm cut from the sharp corner in. You will get a 'penguin tail' at each corner which you will then cross one flap over the other. Do the same for each corner of the small square to get a tart case/cup.
5) Insert the pastries into a cupcake casing and pour the mixture in. Don't pour until full otherwise it will go over while cooking. (see picture below)
|Here's what they're supposed to look like before baking!|
6) Bake at 190C in a preheated oven for 20minutes or until the egg mixture rises nicely and the flaky pastry is cooked and turns a nice crisp brown colour.
Good luck trying and do share with me the results ya! Would love to see how they turn out :)