Monday, January 19, 2009

Second home


I've always wanted to study in Australia. Of all the places I've been in the world (not that it's that
many) I think she's my all-time favourite. "Why Australia" has been the number one question in college. I guess most people wanna go to the UK or Ireland coz that's where most medical students are and supposedly, the best med schools too. Ever since I fell in love with Australia I immediately did research about the medical schools there. That's how I found Monash next, being one of the leading med schools at that point of time. My aunt, who works in the health ministry confirmed that for me since she goes all around the globe, visiting med schools and checking the syllabus, the facilities and determining the ranks. I suppose this was another reason why I didn't mind doing AUSMAT at KBU International College before I did IB in MCB. And there, people weren't at all critical of me choosing to go to Australia (maybe the fact that some of them are going as well had sth to do with it =p) but seriously. I don't question why people would wanna go elsewhere, I mean, it's a free country, do whatever you want. I'm just following my heart. I don't mind ppl asking out of curiousity or sth, but those who kinda just insist on putting down Australia and highlighting the Uk or Ireland just get on my nerves. Believe me, such people do exist. So to set things straight, I like the overall prospect of studying in Australia. A top learning institution, a good environment, a great diversity of cultures. I don't think I can get bored there, exploring the land down under as they say. I've been to Australia the most number of times, and every visit was different then the previous, but still fantastic each time.

Alas for me, my batch couldn't apply for Australia because the Admin wanted to use it as backup. So I got my 2nd option, New Zealand and here I am. (well not literally, coz I'm currently vacationing in Msia) It was a disappointment at first since Australia was on my mind for a long, long time. But I believe in everything happening for a reason, and God knows best. I became contented and open to this new fate. I've been to NZ before, and I should say it's 2nd best after Australia. I did a little research on NZ and hey, it's not so bad. In fact, I think I've found love again ;) Spending 3months in NZ last year was almost like being on a holiday. I seriously enjoyed every second: the lecturers, staff and teaching fellows were friendly and helpful, classes and lectures rock, the labs - absolute bomb! Cumbie Court - my residence, was definitely comfortable (I got the biggest room,yay!) and everywhere else is just a walking distance. Simply accessible and convenient. And the places I've toured - nothing short of spectacular. What more can I ask for?

Unfortunately though, some people just don't know how to appreciate. I was kinda pissed off when I heard some people say their first impression of Dunedin was lame and sucky. I do realize Dunedin's not exactly a shopping paradise (there aren't any of those grand brands) and I guess in 1 or 2 days you might've seen it all. It's quite a small city. But that's just it. Some people just wanna be in those posh places, with actual skyscrapers
(in Dunny, there can't be a building higher than the church so even the mall is 3storeys or so) and all that fine architecture. The things that are 'in'. Personally in this matter, being in MCB definitely prepares us. We did after all spend 2 years in the middle of the palm oil plantation. It just couldn't get any worse than that afterwards. So those who had their prep at some posh private college must've had high expectations. Hence the possible disappointment at the sight of 'Kampung Dunedin'. Luckily, all 7 of us from MCB fit in perfectly with everything, no complaints at all Alhamdulillah. I just feel strongly about the mind influencing our every action. If you have a positive mindset, everything else will fall into place. But if you're just filled with negativity, no surprise for the less-than-interesting comments earlier.

Last but not least, just so you know. I'm pretty protective of what I love. And this includes where I would be spending another 5 years of study at. So when you open your mouth and say, there's perfectly nothing there..seriously? I think you could be the 4th addition to the 3 blind mice. Then again, you might not be into rugby and extreme sports. Or even the mesmerising beauty of the scenery. The things NZ is famous for.

Too bad.



At Nature's Wonders - simply breathtaking

Overlooking Mount Cook & Lake Tekapo

Struck in awe over the wondrous view of Lake Pukaki


A tour around Cadbury World Confectionary
A picnic at the Botanical Gardens

A trip to the Butterfly Exhibition at the Museum

First Raya away from home



The celebrations continued with beloved friends

With Adeline, my flatmate in front of our cosy cottage ;)

Dinner with the rockstar english teachers!

Transit in Auckland

Little clouds outlining the Kiwi Country

3 comments:

  1. u know something dilla,i should learn the optimistic value from you.taking things all from the positive side and always have faith in everything u have in ur mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe.well..sometimes it's not easy..especially when it might seem that people just don't support you on whatever you stand for.But I'm trying.And you should too, dear =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Australia huh? xpela i believe u r having so much fun in new zealand rite? Good for you =)

    May the next 5 years will be the greatest years in your life !

    ReplyDelete