Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Torn

Last year around this time my other future Otago University mates and I were busy finding acommodation. Our Selset agent, Ms Carol recommended strongly on residential colleges. Sure they were more expensive, but since there are some which are halal-catered and with the fact that we would be arriving smack in the middle of winter, 3weeks late for our course, it would be much more convenient than having to hassle around cooking, get adjusted to the weather, hit the books and stuff. When certain Otago seniors (former mcbians) expressed that they were worried for our safety especially the girls when we opt for residential colleges because of the drinking nights and such, honestly...I thought they were just exaggerating. I mean, How bad can it be?

Apparently, quite bad. Dunedin is considered NZ's student capital so the majority of the residents are students. Hence, the very laidback nature of students & the many crazy ( and I do stress on CRAZY) stunts that they do. I learnt fast that Thursday to Saturday nights were stay-in nights for us. Coz that's when they all come out to play - heavy drinking in Captain Cook's Bar and anywhere else. We are then entertained by their drunken voices karaoke-ing into the night when they walk home. So in the mornings, they have never failed to leave the broken bottles, traces of vommit on the sidewalks. Sometimes, I don't mind the noise at night but there is definitely a bulge in my vein when it occurs during exam week. When it gets out of hand though, it's just plain gross.And disgusting.Seriously.People literally fall head over heels or just faint flat on the floor. An incident last year had people burning couches and fighting with the cops. According to a friend, the toilets over at his college would just stink during weekends.

I know all the drinking is part of their culture. I guess it's their way of loosening up and make friends or something. So much so, my medical students orientation that is supposed be held for three days included consecutive nights at different places with different themes: a ball at larnach castle, jungle fever Medstein & barn dance. Interesting eyh? People dress up, bring cash & 'dance to the DJ'. Only supper's provided so have your dinner early before you go. In other words, it's just students, a couple of beers and music. My question to all is : would you go knowing what is most likely to happen when such a combination exists?

Well..I know most people are insecure, concerned over safety, especially girls. We're not used to such things. Can we handle it? I for one, also fear for the worst. Nonetheless, I can't help but be reminded of the things we've discussed from time to time in MCB. How teachers really criticize those who chose not to socialize with the locals when they're overseas. Even my own mentor mentioned once that even though we don't drink that doesn't mean we can't go into a pub if a formal event is held there. Choices lie in our hands, we don't need to drink, we don't even have to dance if we don't want to. But what's wrong with just mingling, exchanging hi's and making small talk. It is all in the name of introduction.Ice-breaking. If we try to avoid everything that comes our way, everything that we're afraid of, how are we to progress?

I guess in a way, I'm more frustrated with myself. I had the opportunity of being part of a residential college and access to many foreign friendships. When there were formal dinners, my girlfriends and I didn't attend. I made many friends but the only Kiwi friends I had were those who migrated to NZ.And that was nearing the end of the semester. I was just following the flow and just not my confident, friendly self. One person did notice and confronted me and his words just confirmed how I was feeling. They kinda stung too."I know you're definitely not the shy type.So what's with you?" I'm getting this vibe that people around me think that us girls in scarves are truly conservative and shy or something. And I don't like that.Coz it's not all true. But then again I can't blame them for thinking so since action speaks louder than words.

Another friend of mine at first felt the same way..but after a discussion with mum she decided against it. Whatever mum says right? Well...as if all mums don't wanna protect their children. So...what about your orientation?Did you guys ever faced something like this?Do share because like the title says, I'm just torn.


7 comments:

  1. i know it is a matter of time before you write again. welcome back to the blogosphere, adila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. thanks man...miss it a lot ;) and I'm feeling a blog fever coming up already.hiks

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm..people seem to have avoid commenting on this piece out in the open, judging by the many messages I've received via fb =p but thanks all for your opinions.I appreciate it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey… Having been a University of Otago student for 5 years now and a Residential Assistant at a Residential College for 3, I thought I’d contribute my 2-cents’ worth on this particular entry.

    First-off, the best choice for an out-of-town first-year student in terms of accommodation is staying in a Residential College. The environment is safe, supportive and conducive for a first-year student. Not having to worry about preparing meals and other flatting-related chores means that students can concentrate on settling in and focus on enjoying their first year of University. As well as this, a College has support systems on-site to deal with practically anything from blown light bulbs that need replacing to homesick students who need a shoulder to cry on to actually sick students needing a ride to the hospital. Being in a College also ensures, should students make even the smallest effort to socialize, that they are not lonely.

    And while the environment is not necessarily perfect, it is definitely improving year by year. With regards to the safety of anyone on drinking nights in a College, most Colleges have a kick-out time of 9 or 10 pm when all residents who are drinking have to leave the College, as well as rounds done by Residential Assistants and College Security Guards.

    There is no denying that because Dunedin is a predominantly student town that things get pretty crazy some nights, but it is precisely because Dunedin is “NZ’s student capital” that makes it such a great place to be a student. The drinking and the subsequent antics are just one part of the student life. There are other aspects of the town that make it enjoyable being a student, or even just a resident there. These range from student oriented things such as the Toga Parade, the various O-Week events (alcohol-free ones included), the Capping Show and the numerous Clubs and Societies, to the town’s own attractions such as the Botanical Gardens, the new Chinese Gardens, the Cadbury Chocolate Factory, the Speight’s Beer Factory, the ice-skating rink and surfing at one of the local beaches or skiing at one of the nearby mountain ranges.

    If you are going to the U of O to study, especially if you happen to be an International Student, in particular Malaysian, be prepared for a bit of a culture shock. But also be prepared to be open to new experiences and to learn new ways of doing things and to absorb the amazing things the University and the City has to offer. Do mix around. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing groups of students sticking to their own kind all the time. There is a difference between sticking together for support and being the proverbial “katak di bawah tempurung.” If you give the locals (and by this I mean anyone who is not from where you are from) half a chance, they’ll show you what amazing people they can be.

    If you’re going to go to Otago, or in fact any overseas University, go with an open mind, with the intention of mixing around, learning new ideas and new ways of doing things so that when you do come home, you can use these to make home a better place.

    And just because some things are done a particular way at home doesn’t mean they have to be done the same way when we are elsewhere. We should definitely stick to our values (in fact hold on to them for dear life), but at the same time we should definitely learn to think for ourselves and walk our own walk. Learn new things, do your own things, and for goodness’ sake HAVE FUN!!! Sure we may stumble and scrape our knees once in a while, but that’s the way we learn. We may not please everyone, and we might even incur the wrath of some, but it is ultimately more satisfying (quoting Frank Sinatra here) to do things “My way.”

    Finally, I’ll leave you all with this bit of wisdom: when the opportunity to do something new or different comes along, “do it now, or forever wish you had.” (That one’s from Hairspray).

    Steve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Stevie. And you said you've been slothing away this summer. How'd u get to type so long eyh? ;)Point well made btw =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief... I'm quite along-winded person, aren't I? And just because I've been slothing doesn't mean the old brain hasn't been ticking away. And our little chat has spurned this sloth into action. I feel obliged at this point to inform you of what a bad influence you are on my life. Check it: http://stevie266.blogspot.com/. Sigh... who knows how much time I'll spend on the computer now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo..yay! Stevie's a blogger now ;D

    I will follow you~
    Follow you wherever you will go~

    My own rendition.Which sounds kinda stalkish =p

    ReplyDelete