Monday, January 19, 2009

Kids these days...

As an IB student, I had to do an extended essay of 4k words. I chose English coz it's one of my loves. And since I loved the arts as well, I thought a combo would be perfect. So there you have it. My research was on how musicals affected the spoken English of primary school students. I planned 2 mini experiments on primary 5 students of my former school; 13 girls and 13 boys.

On my 1st day as a teacher....OMG. Were they seriously primary school kids?? It wasn't at all like how it used to be. I honestly don't remember my friends and I swearing that much. You'd think it was their everyday language. Boys were playing games they brought along, girls were toying with their handphones. At that age. I wouldn't mind them screaming and chasing each other. It would've reminded me of the good ol kiddie days. The 'normal' way. But no. Times had to change.

I noticed most of them had good spoken English. All with slangs, be it American or British. But just as I thought, their written skills and everything else were not so fine. Don't even get me started on their rudeness and totally undisciplined behaviour. How'd it get that bad? They almost fooled me into thinking I was not in Malaysia. Maybe somewhere where respect towards teachers or older people doesn't exist. Go figure.

6 weeks with those kids was all I could take. Boy was I glad it was over and done with. I seriously hope my children aren't like that. Coz I'd have high blood pressure if it was so.

So praise God for creating innocent little things around me. My little nephews and cuzzie's kids are oh-so-cute (yup,all of them!) All clever in their own way too. But the closest to my heart would be Mikhael Ariff Shariz, the first grandson in my immediate family and my eldest bro's son. Watching him grow was very entertaining. He always has something to offer, little quack jokes of his...the cute habits and temper tantrums. Makes me wanna have a kid. Quick! Teehee. For those who've met him may feel the same way. And for those who haven't, here's a bit of him I'd like to share.

Ladies & Gentleman..I give you..my favourite quotes and scenarios from the little man himself! Enjoy ;)


Kael loves colouring. Mamatok or Auntie La would usually draw him pictures for him to complete. One day when Mummy was around...
Kael : Mummy, can you please draw for me?
Mummy : (Cringing) errrr...Mummy cannot laaa~
Kael : Try mummy, TRY~
Mummy : I've tried long ago la~ I already know my capabilities! YOU try.

* * *

The nanny was climbing up the stairs with the new baby brother. Kael, thinking that his Mamatok was going to carry the baby immediately sprang to action.
Kael : Mamatok!!Nak roti~

Then he saw me taking the baby.

Auntie La : Kael, nak roti ke? (knowing he just had rice)
Kael : Tak nak. (geleng2 and tersipu.)

* * *

Kael's tactics to stall leaving Mamatok's house and heading home :
1) Nak roti!!
2) Nak shishi~
3) Makes a mess of his toys.
4) Hides.
5) Buat berat so we xlarat nak dukung die.
6) Simply throw a tantrum. or as mummy says, buat perangai.

* * *

My mum wanted to watch Barack Obama during U.S Election Day. But Kael was watching (what else) Playhouse Disney.
Mamatok : Kael, mamatok nak tengok Barack Obama on CNN sekejap boleh tak?? Boleh la..Kael dah lame tengok Playhouse Disney.
Kael : Waaaaaaa~ P-L-A-Y-H-O-U-S-E D-I-S-N-E-Y !!!!~(starts crying and screaming)

Mamatok, geram, walks into the master bedroom and lies on the bed. Kael, feeling MAYBE a tad guilty, walks into the bedroom and at my mum's side.
Kael : Mamatok~ (showing the Astro remote control) Look, mamatok. Cannot press 5-1-1 (CNN). Can only press 6-1-3 mamatok~ See? ;)

* * *

Auntie La : Kael, Auntie La belikan Kael NZ All- Blacks punye jacketla for your birthday.
Kael : (disappointed that it wasn't a Thomas & friends toy) Kael dah ade dah baju NZ.
Auntie La : Oh yeke...Auntie La belikan Kael Thomas socks jugak.Ok x? Thomas what.
Kael : Tapi..macam mane Kael nak main ngan socks?? (insisting that he must have toys.) =p

* * *

Kael saw Mamatok going downstairs.He senses his Mamatok wants to check on Muez, the new baby.
Kael : Mamatok~ UPSTAIRS!!!

* * *

Auntie Na just came back from the office and was hanging out at the TV room. After having tea, she came down to check on Muez. Kael, realizing that Auntie Na is no where in sight, starts looking for her.
Kael : Tie Na~ Where are you??~

Having found Auntie Na holding Muez downstairs...

Kael : Tie Na? What are you doing Tie Na! That's enough. Put him down.

[Jealousy..yikes. =s]
* * *

I found my sister's very old family tree scrapbook and the whole family was laughing at the stone-age pictures. We called Kael and showed him some of the pictures.
Sister : Kael, look. This is daddy when he was small. (referring to my geeky-looking bro with humongous spectacles at the time)
Kael : (Big-eyed) Why like that??

* * *

Kael doesn't really like to try new stuff. Suddenly one day, he was hooked on white chocolate. (well maybe because the wrapper being blue - his favourite colour - had sth to do with it.) So one day when it was Tokmak's turn to babysit..she called me out of the blue.
Tok Mak : Dila, Kael nie sebok nak white chocolate. Chocolate mane nie??
Auntie La : Oowhh..tu chocolate Dila beli kat NZ..Cadbury Dream..kat sini Cold Storage ke ade la jual, tapi mahalla.
Tok Mak : Owhh..coz auntie mule2 ingatkan nak belikan Toblerone White Chocolate die kate bukan. Auntie kat Petronasnye mart nie.
Kael : It's not here Tok Mak. It's in New Zealand.
Tok Mak : So Kael nak pergi New Zealand ke?
Kael : Nak!~

*Winks*


* * *

Mummy : Kael, what is your full name?
Kael : Mikhael Ariff Shariz bin Daddy.


* * *

Will return with more insyaAllah..there are others..but it's either just too complicated to tell or it's one of those where you have to see it to get the message. Till then, I'll leave you with some of his latest adorable pics =)


On Raya Haji...all the way to Malacca and back ;)


Kael looking at his future birthday gift =p


His 4th Bday...family pic! Kael, love being near the gurrllsss~ ;p

4 comments:

  1. dila, Salam!
    alhamdulillah u hv a blog now, so more updates, heh?
    nways,about primary school kids, oh i miss the good old days.few months ago i drove past sk2 n i saw 2 kids (stand 2 i think), arrogantly shoving their latest gadget to a bus driver..
    oh, life is soo complicated nowadays.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wslm~ i had a blog dh dulu on fs..but dh lame terabai so buat jela a new one ;) haha.yea..life's evolving.budak kecik pn dh terer gune mcm2.even my just-turned-4 yrs old nephew pn dok sebok main ngan website niela.tula.gune iphone pn handal dr i =p speaking of primary school days, aifa's coming over to my hse esok iA for tea.saje menziarah.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. adila!nk nyebokk~
    tis is my 1st cmmnt in ur page..lol~
    tp2,,
    ur nephew sgt larr cute~~
    hahaha~
    mcm2 prngai die ea..
    klu ekt,,my nephew pn lbey krg cm2 gk..
    pnat nk mlyn..hahaa..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe.yup.wait til u c the new baby..nntla nk wat post abg vs adik =p due2 comel~

    ReplyDelete